Man Sues Medical Team For Wrong Medication That Burned Him From Inside-Out

A Colorado man is suing his doctor, nurse and pharmacist over a drug that nearly killed him. The man spent weeks suffering after being burned from the inside out because of a prescription medication. The doctor had misdiagnosed him and no one caught the mistake until it was too late.

The man, known only a Scott, spoke to Fox31 News about his harrowing ordeal. The problem started when he went to the Aspen Creek Family Medicine Clinic in Parker, Colorado in January of 2016 for a check-up. The young college student mentioned he'd been feeling a little depressed, so his doctor gave him a form to fill out.

The form was a checklist that clearly said it was not to be used as a diagnostic tool. There were 13 questions about mood, and Scott answered six of them positively. Dr. Michael Paul Elder miscounted and thought Scott answered seven positively, which could indicate the need for a follow-up examination, and possibly treatment.

Dr. Elder decided on the basis of the yes/no questions that Scott was 'severely' depressed and bipolar. He prescribed Lamictal, an anti-seizure medication used to treat severe cases of bi-polar disorder, and ramped up the dosage to four times the recommended amount.

Lamictal is a 'black box warning' medication, which means that there is a label regarding serious side effects. In this case, the drug can cause 'serious skin disorders leading to death'. It also notes that 'the incidence of skin disorders was increased when this drug was administered at doses higher than recommended'.

"There was so many things wrong in this case that it's frightening," said Hollynd Hoskins, Scott's attorney.

The doctor did not go over the black box warning with Scott. The pharmacist prescribed the drug without going over the black box warning. When he came back a week later for a follow up, he told the nurse practitioner his hands had been shaking, which she said was due to anxiety.

Scott developed severe rashes and blisters all over his body. He looked and felt like he was a burn victim. "I had rashes and bubbles on the bottom of my feet. I had to walk on top of the rashes and bubbles. You could feel them pop and burst, and just the pain -- it was like standing on needles," Scott said.

Things progressed and Scott landed in the hospital. He had burns and cuts both inside and outside his body. He couldn't eat, see, or talk. Doctors had to put a tube down Scott's throat so he could breathe, and had to sew his eyes shut. He had to have two surgeries to save his eyes, and is now left with permanent vision problems. He is also at greater risk for glaucoma.

"Not only was the diagnosis false -- he did not have bipolar -- not only did he diagnosis it with a screening tool, he prescribed Lamictal, a serious drug, at four times the recommended dose." said Hoskins.

"This doctor was not qualified to make that diagnosis," the lawyer continued. "He used a vague, 10-minute questionnaire and that led to a false diagnosis. He used the wrong dosage and that led to a very life-threatening, serious rash in Scott."
Source: AOL
Photos: Fox 31 Screenshot

Tell Us What You Think

More News Stories

The perils of sharing too much on social media have been well-documented. According to CBS DFW, this woman has apparently been very well-sheltered...

Representative John Lewis, legendary civil rights activist who helped plan the March on Washington, has made headlines when he announced he would...

A family in Kansas watched on in horror after police raided their home, tore up their stuff and destroyed the family Christmas tree. The police,...

What some people do in the name of “religion” absolutely boggles the mind. One case in point is that of 15-year-old Alexandru Radita, a diagnosed...

The protesting of the National Anthem by NFL players was already a hot-button issue, but the rhetoric has ramped up in a big way over the past...