Man in Medically-Induced Coma After The Unthinkable Happens With An E-Cigarette

Evan Spahlinger is a 21-year-old Florida man currently placed in a medically induced coma after his electronic cigarette blew up in his face at his Naples home on Monday. Spahlinger's sister Ema Richardson was laying in bed with her 2-year-old child when she heard the blast, and started smelling smoke.

Richardson discovered her brother covered in soot on his bedroom floor with his neck burned--either trying to throw up or gasping for air.

Spahlinger suffered from internal and external burns, as well as damage to his lungs. Richardson said the cigarette exploded, then the mouthpiece went down his throat and exploded again. Spahlinger was flown to a Miami hospital on Tuesday to undergo cosmetic surgery.

The explosion is being investigated by North Collier Fire & Rescue. They believe it was caused by the e-cigarette's lithium battery. Richardson stated that the last thing her brother said was "I'm done, that's it."

Photo: WPTV

Tell Us What You Think

More News Stories

Ron Howard revealed this week that his father, legendary actor Rance Howard, had passed away.

The Inquisitr reported that the film director...

Aboriginal mom Rachel Muir took her daughter to a Disney-themed event at a Melbourne mall. Her 3-year-old, Samara, decided to dress up like Queen...

“Our immigration system is broken,” presidential candidate Bobby Jindal declares in a commercial his campaign is broadcasting on television...

When you’re tasked with covering the world of politics for a living, leaks can be your best friend. Used properly, leaks can help you tie up loose...

If you’re going to walk around tossing rocks, it’s a good idea to make sure you have all of your ducks in a row back at your glass house. Sen....