Young Woman Dies After Hospital Makes a Fatal Mistake

A mother in Russia is grieving over the death of her 27-year-old daughter after a medical blunder resulted in the young woman's death. The woman was admitted into the hospital for a routine surgery, and was put on an IV drip.

Unfortunately, instead of giving her a saline drip bag, medical staff accidentally put her on a chemical used to embalm dead bodies.

Ekaterina Fedyaeva died in unthinkable agony, but by the time her health care staff realized the mistake they made, it was too late. her mother is accusing the medical team of murder and is demanding justice.

The Ulyanovsk woman was in the hospital, but when she was prepped for the surgery, she was supposed to be given a saline IV drip. Hospitals use the saline drip to keep patients hydrated and to maintain their salt needs.

Sadly, she was accidentally given a drip of formalin. The formalin solution contained formaldehyde, a chemical used to help prevent dead bodies from decomposing.

After the surgery, Fedyaeva began experiencing unexplainable pain. She soon began having convulsions. She then fell into a coma, and her heart stopped several times.

Her mother, Galina Baryshnikova, recalls what it was like. "Her legs were moving, she had convulsions, her whole body was shaking," she told the Daily Mail. "I put socks on her, then a robe, then a blanket but she was shivering to such an extent, I can't even describe it."

The mother said the hospital had realized their mistake early but did nothing to reverse it, and they neglected to tell her or Fedyaeva's husband, Igor. "We had no idea it was formalin. And they knew very well that they washed up her body with a poison - and they did nothing to help," she said. "Now I understand that formalin was simply eroding her body from inside."

At the time, though, when Fedyaeva , the mother had no idea why her daughter’s health was rapidly declining before her eyes. She asked for help but claims she was brushed aside. When Baryshnikova begged doctors to help her daughter, she claims they told her to go home and cook up some chicken soup for her. They told her to stop worrying, but she thinks they were just trying to get rid of her to hide their mistake.

"They needed to take some urgent measures - but they did nothing," she added.

The grieving mother said that when she went looking for doctors, she found them huddled up discussing how to handle the matter. Ultimately, they didn't even want to admit what happened. "A medical mistake took place. She is in coma now, her heart, lungs and liver stopped working," Baryshnikova says the lead doctor told her.

The young woman was flown to a top hospital in Moscow for emergency treatment. She came out of the coma, but eventually died after suffering failure of multiple organs. Her mother is now praying that justice will be done.

The death is under investigation. A criminal investigator told Baryshnikova that it was negligence, but the mother feels it was even worse than that. "This is pure murder," she said.

Source: Daily Mail
Photos: KOKO News, Everipedia, Satra

Tell Us What You Think

More News Stories

On August 16, 1977, Elvis Presley’s lifeless body was discovered at his Graceland mansion in Memphis, Tennessee. Presley’s shocking death...

Winning last year’s election might have temporarily saved President Trump’s marriage, according to a purported former government insider.

...

On September 30, a group of patriotic teenagers at a high school in Jackson, Wyoming protested a decision by school administrators to cancel "...

Tragically, across America and the rest of the world, sexual predators and abusers are often not caught by the authorities until it is too late....

Despite going against protocol, House Speaker Boehner's invite to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was welcomed with open arms by the GOP...

Latest News Stories

A high school student fell ill and seemed to be drifting in and out of consciousness in the hallway during lunch on Monday. The student had to be...

Police in Canada were investigating a suspect's yard when they felt something strange about the search. The ground beneath their feet felt a bit...

Seventeen-month-old Charlotte Svilicic owes her life to her Doberman “Khan.” The dog, which her parents had adopted less than a week prior, saved...

A Marine who survived the September 2012 attack on U.S. facilities in Benghazi, Libya, is lashing out at Hillary Clinton for her response to the...

UK resident Byron Geldard had finished high school and was just back from a summer holiday when his doctor told him he had testicular cancer....