Woman Catches Herself On Fire While Asleep, But She Wasn't At Home

Passing gas can be an embarrassing topic for some people and a hilarious joke for others. However, thousands of people have discovered that the uncomfortable topic has a serious side after a disturbing case from 2016 garnered substantial online media attention. The story describes the horrific burns suffered by an unnamed Japanese woman in her 30s, during surgery after the gas she passed during a laser operation on her uterus, ignited.

The Telegraph sheds more light on the bizarre situation, reporting that:

“The woman, in her 30s, was undergoing an operation that involved applying a laser to her cervix, the lower part of the uterus, at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital in Shinjuku Ward on April 15. The laser is believed to have ignited the gas she passed, a report released by the hospital said. The blaze burned much of her body, including her waist and legs”.

The operating room staff hurriedly ceased the operation and extinguished the flames leaping up the operating curtain. Initially, hospital staff were horrified and believed that they were to blame for the fire. However, after a comprehensive, external evaluation of the surgery room and equipment, it was concluded that the ignition must have been triggered by the woman consciously or unconsciously ‘farting’ during the operation. While the incident seems humorous, it could have been life threatening if the well trained medical staff hadn’t extinguished the blaze immediately. A recommendation has been passed to hospital staff and will likely be disseminated to other medical institutors across Japan, suggesting firefighting exercises for operating room staff along with possible methods to prevent situations like this from recurring in the future.

The intestinal gas released during ‘farting’ is a highly flammable combination of carbon dioxide, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen and methane. The unidentified woman’s condition remains unclear and it is believed that steps are already being taken in many Japanese hospitals to reduce the risk of any more flatulence related explosions.

Source: Independent Journal Review
Photo: iStock

Tell Us What You Think

More News Stories

Police stopped a car being driven by Alexander Mills, 46, with a 16-year-old passenger. The officers noticed that the 16-year-old was sitting...

As the furor over Donald Trump’s lewd comments from 2005 begins to quiet to a dull roar, speculation continues to ramp up on who may have been...

President Donald Trump has a way with words. How he does with those words is open to interpretation depending on political leanings, but he...

In 2007, Joy Taylor filed a claim for disability benefits following a serious leg injury in an accident. She recovered in 2009 and was supposed to...

A 28-year-old man from Henrico, Virginia is under investigation for some incredibly reckless behavior that may have severely impacted the life of...

Latest News Stories

Police get a lot of bad press, which is really unfair. There may be a handful of 'bad apples' out there, but for the most part, police are people...

Ben Carson, Donald Trump’s nominee for secretary of the Housing and Urban Development Department, told senators at his confirmation hearing on...

West Virginia man Jeffrey Bane was left bloodied and pleading for help after four Granville Police officers brutally tried to subdue and arrest...

Now that Donald Trump is the Republican presidential nominee, he needs to stop making “very self-destructive” statements, according to Newt...

When some people hanging out by a river in Florida noticed unusual debris, they notified police. It was a good thing they did-- a family was in...