Status message

Operating in maintenance mode.

Parents Tuck 3-Year-Old In, Terrified The Next Morning After Discovering He Can't Move (Video)

Toddlers are a seemingly endless bundle of energy. Many little ones bound out of bed at the crack of dawn, but one morning a usually bouncy boy just didn't get up. His parents tucked him in the night before and everything seemed fine, but in the morning, he just lay there gazing up at his worried mom and dad. They soon were shocked by the realization that their son couldn't move.

Dad Dillon and Mom Stephanie couldn't figure out what was wrong with their 3-year-old son, Collin. He seemed fine when he went to bed, but in the morning, instead of running around as usual, he couldn't walk or stand up. They rushed him to the doctors.

Collin had been at his brother's baseball game the night before and hit his head. He seemed fine at the time-- he got up and acted like nothing happened-- but the parents began wondering if maybe he sustained a concussion or brain injury. They felt guilty that they may have neglected a dangerous injury.

Tests in the emergency room quickly ruled that out, but Dillon and Stephanie were not that relieved. Colin was still paralyzed, and they didn't know why. And things were getting progressively worse in the hospital. Colin couldn't even move from the neck down, had trouble eating and drinking. “The only thing he could do was breathe,” Dillon said.

The doctors ruled out meningitis and other things, and were stumped. The parents requested Collin be transferred to a bigger hospital, and it's a good thing they did. “My husband and I decided to have him transferred to a children’s hospital in Memphis. The doctors told us that if we’d have been thirty minutes later, he would have went into cardiac arrest. I thought I was going to lose him,” said Stephanie.

Finally, doctors found the source of a problem: a tick. A tick had bitten Collin behind the ear, was latched on and slowly killing the tot.

Paralysis is a rare side effect of tick bites that happens when the host has a reaction to the bug's saliva. “This neurotoxin hangs out in their salivary glands,” said Collin's doctor, “so while the tick is feeding, that neurotoxin gets into, in this case, Collin’s blood and that leads to what we call an ascending paralysis, which initially starts with the legs and an inability to walk.”

After removing the tick, Collin began to improve. It's frightening how such a tiny pest could have cut a young, healthy child's life tragically short.

Source: AWM
Photo: AWM

Tell Us What You Think

More News Stories

The secret ingredient to one California teen’s cupcakes is semen and a sprinkle of pubic hair. That student is now under investigation for the...

It's hard to believe in this day and age that there are countries in which rape and violence are so prevalent, they've become common place. It's...

Anyone that’s ever lost a pet and has no idea of their whereabouts knows full well the amount of pain such an experience can cause. According to...

At a Teays Valley, West Virginia Home Depot store, a disabled veteran says he was fired for missing work in order to deal with injuries he...

The president of Iran suggested Wednesday that Donald Trump is in way over his head as president of the United States because he is unaware of “...

Latest News Stories

As tensions between the United States and North Korea continue to rise, the world sits on edge waiting to see what happens next. There has been a...

Twenty years ago, a young California Polytechnic State University student disappeared after a party near her school. For years, the cold case...

As has become a regular occurrence since he was sworn in as the 45th President of the United States, President Donald Trump has managed to create...

While the war on terror can appear to be on the quiet side at times, the fact remains that it’s an ongoing battle that will never completely go...

A teacher at Betty Fairfax High School in Laveen, Arizona was recently put on leave for handing out an unapproved, inappropriate and extremely...