Quantcast

Cell Phone Gives Teen Serious Burns

Jackie Fedro of Highland Park, Illinois, said she bought the T-Mobile phone for her 13-year-old daughter, Gabbie, for Christmas. Gabbie is active in sports and always busy, so Fedro thought the phone would help her stay in touch during her "crazy practice schedule." Yet, just a week later, Fedro heard her daughter screaming in her room.

Fedro said, "She came running downstairs after it [happened] grabbing her neck. She was in so much pain she was screaming hysterically." The teen was allegedly using the phone as it was plugged into a wall charger. An electric current from the phone had traveled through the metal necklace she was wearing and burned her neck.

Fedro went on to say, "She suffered painful second-degree burns and now will have a scar all the way around her neck." T-Mobile has since sent the family a new phone free of charge and offered to pay Gabbie's medical bills. The company has also asked the family to send back the defective phone for testing. Fedro also wants to warn parents.

On Twitter, Fedro posted "13 yr old burned! Necklace caught current from phone that was charging. #PhoneSafety, #TeenSafety, and #SafetyFirst."

Scott Wolfson of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said that the majority of phone-related injuries are a result of the phone's lithium-ion batteries overheating. Wolfson said, “You really shouldn’t go to a mall kiosk for a replacement battery or charger."

Photo: Pure Anarchy, CBS News

Make sure your child's phone isn't overheating.

Tell Us What You Think

More News Stories

The United States is “being run by an idiot,” an Islamic State spokesman declared Tuesday, according to Reuters.

“America, you have drowned...

It doesn’t take much to get the mainstream press all riled up when it comes to President Donald Trump. The commander-in-chief is torn to shreds on...

It’s been a pretty rough week for Democrats, and many on the Left are on the hunt for a scapegoat. The special election for the Georgia House seat...

Donald Trump, who made fun of Sen. Marco Rubio for drinking water during a speech in last year’s presidential campaign, learned Wednesday what it...

Burlesque dancer Maggie McMuffin was recently slut-shamed while boarding a JetBlue flight in Boston for wearing shorts that staff deemed were too...

Latest News Stories

Little Lee McFarland was playing outside his house in Noblesville, Indiana while his mom was inside. He's only 2-years-old, but he noticed that...

Rap star Eminem performed at the iHeartRadio Music Awards on Sunday and performed 'Nowhere Fast' from his most recent studio album, 'Revival'. It...

Members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police were in an uproar when they realized that some potentially dangerous equipment had fallen off a...

Much fuss has been made about First Lady Melania Trump’s decision to stay behind in New York City so that her son Barron can finish out the school...

The principal of Glen Allen High School in Virginia had to issue a quick apology after a racist song was played over the public address system...