Quantcast

Little Girl's Horrific Experience At The Dentist Lands Her In The Hospital

Visiting the dentist is not a favored task for many people, and even those that drag themselves there without issue tend to grin and bear it till it’s over with. In most cases, the fear and dread turns out to be unfounded.

The visit goes off without a hitch, and you exit the office wondering why you got yourself so worked up in the first place. Of course, there’s always the opposite end of the spectrum in which you walk away convinced that dental services really aren’t all that necessary.

As the Daily Mail shares, a mother and her six-year-old daughter from China had to deal with one of those frightening visits, and the girl wound up in the emergency room as a result. That wasn’t because the dentist inflicted a major amount of pain or made a serious error, but because something that had turned up missing during the visit wound up being found later.

That something was a 1.2-inch-long medical needle that the girl accidentally swallowed.

As the mother, identified only as Ms. Hu, explains, she had brought her daughter to the Wenzhou Dental Hospital for root canal therapy. The procedure was only supposed to take about 30 minutes, but the dentist grabbed her after only about 20 minutes had passed.

“The dentist told me there was one needle missing from his tray and it could have been in my daughter's belly,” Ms. Hu said.

Mom wasn’t taking any chances, and she took her daughter to the Second Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College. Once they got there, an x-ray confirmed that the needle had become lodged in the girl’s stomach.

Since the girl had recently eaten, doctors were limited in what they could do. The girl was kept for observation. The next day, an x-ray revealed that the needle had moved into the girl’s intestines.

Finally, on day three, the magic of nature would produce the needle. The girl was, fortunately, able to avoid surgery after passing the needle naturally, but Ms. Hu is still pretty ticked off. She’s demanding the dental hospital pay her 40,000 yuan and issue a public apology. Negotiations are said to be ongoing.

“The needle, called H files, is used to clean and shape the root canal during the endodontic therapy,” explained the dentist, who goes by the surname Jin. “She was feeling nauseous during the treatment and her tongue blocked the file. When I tried to take it out, she gulped [it] down.”

Accidents happen, but this one opens up a ton of questions. Was the needle not secured properly? Has Jin ever had this problem before with other patients? What kind of surgery was the girl looking at in a worst case scenario?

Thankfully, the latter one is off the table, but we can understand why Ms. Hu is so upset. That little needle could’ve led to far greater problems, and she and her daughter should consider themselves fortunate that this scary situation didn’t turn out much worse.

Source: Daily Mail
Photo: People's Daily, PxHere, Zhejiang TV via Daily Mail

Tell Us What You Think

More News Stories

Kellyanne Conway, the Donald Trump staffer who managed his presidential campaign, changed the subject when a student asked her on Tuesday how she...

Walton County Public Schools in Georgia have received several complaints over the teaching of Islam in their curriculum. Mother Michelle King said...

When secretly recorded audio of Republican nominee Donald Trump was made public, there was a public outcry at his 'locker room talk.' Trump...

An Oklahoma widow and her daughter spent their first Father's Day without dad this year. Last year, they released balloons and a message at his...

Vinny Ohh says he wants to be in a class all by himself. He doesn't want to be considered female, or male; he doesn't want to be labeled gay or...

Latest News Stories

The world can be a very cruel place for parents sometimes. Just ask the parents of an amazing eight-year-old girl from Belfast, Northern Ireland...

Walmart security video captured some heartbreaking footage of the last time a little girl was seen alive. She was cheerfully walking out of a...

A presidential library intern made some scandalous allegations about former President Bill Clinton and his trips to the library. According to a...

When Hannah Polites posted some snaps of her toned and fit bod on Instagram for her followers to enjoy, she wasn’t quite prepared for the backlash...

Halloween may have been a day of spooky fun and frolic for many Americans, but for police in Japan, it was a real-life horror story. Authorities...