Status message

Operating in maintenance mode.

Tick Bite Leaves 6-Year-Old Boy Partially Paralyzed And Suffering From Extensive Brain Damage

A mother has spent more than a year struggling to come to terms with her son’s terrifying battle with Lyme Disease. Now, the mother in question, Amy Mitchell, is opening up about the tragic experience, warning other parents to be vigilant about the causes and signs of the potentially fatal disease.

Specifically, Lyme Disease – a dangerous infection that occurs when ticks bite you and transmit ‘Borrelia’ type bacteria – has left Ms. Mitchell’s 6-year-old son, Adam, with brain damage and partial paralysis. When Ms. Mitchell noticed her son acting strangely, she took him to the doctors.

However, the doctors made no attempt to test Adam for Lyme Disease, telling the young mother that the boy was suffering from a simple viral infection.

By the time doctors realized their mistake, it was too late and Adam – whose condition caused him to contract meningitis – had permanent brain damage. Because of mistakes from doctors, Adam’s life has been irrevocably changed. T

he young boy can no longer swallow food properly and has difficulty blinking rapidly. To make matters worse, Ms. Mitchell’s son has enormous trouble learning and regularly suffers from incontinence.

“This year has been pretty rotten and heartbreaking,” said Ms. Mitchell in an interview with AWM. “We could’ve lost Adam, and that’s the frightening thing. We want to tell his story even if just to warn other mums to keep going back to the doctor if they feel something isn’t quite right.”

Ms. Mitchell first noticed the change in her son when he started returning home from school with no energy. “He was just really lackluster,” recalled Ms. Mitchell. “He was getting off the school bus with his shoulders slumped and then coming straight home and lying on the sofa under a blanket every night.

His wee brother was trying to play with him, but there was just nothing in him. It was almost like he was depressed. We phoned the school. We thought he might be getting bullied.”

Several days after, Adam’s concerned parents received a phone call from their son’s school. The Mitchell parents were horrified to find out that their son had been taken from school to the hospital after teachers noticed his face drooping.

“He looked like a stroke patient,” revealed Ms. Mitchell. “He had a fever. I phoned the surgery. They said a doctor would phone back. I didn’t want to be told that it was a viral again.”

In order to secure immediate attention for their son, Ms. Mitchell and her husband, Dave, drove the boy to a nearby specialist, requesting a second opinion on his condition. “As soon as the specialist looked at Adam she said ‘Why has nobody taken bloods yet?’” said Ms. Mitchell. “I felt so guilty. I wanted to kick myself for not pushing harder to get them done.”

At this stage, there isn’t much chance that Adam will recover. The best thing that Ms. Mitchell and her husband can do now is love their son and try and make sure other parents don’t have to go through what they have.

“We want to make people aware of what Lyme disease can do…We can’t change what’s happened to Adam, but we can help to raise awareness,” says Ms. Mitchell.

Source: AWM
Photo: Cascade News

Tell Us What You Think

More News Stories

A disabled U.S. Navy Veteran turned to a New York VA hospital when he was dangerously depressed and asked for help. The hospital refused to let...

David Carleton was upset about the way Home Depot in Spokane Valley, Washington treated a veteran. So, he took to social media to with an insult...

A homeowner and Home Owner Association (HOA) are going head-to-head over a 'Blue Lives Matter' flag. A neighbor complained that the flag, which...

Rep. Michael McCaul (R-Texas), the head of the House Homeland Security Committee, was interviewed on HBO's "Vice," set to air later this week....

Chelsea Klepzig is a first grader who was accidentally trapped in a school bus door and dragged for almost a mile. The substitute driver only...

Latest News Stories

A family from Pennsylvania has been impacted by America’s drug crisis in a truly horrific way after a grandmother and her grandson died from an...

Frank Swanson was fired from Walmart for providing customer service that went above and beyond, according ATTN.

Swanson, 52, is known for...

In March of 2003, Elizabeth Smart was abducted from her bedroom. She was then subjected to nine months of brutal torture, rape, and imprisonment...

A Brazilian national was arrested in Westborough, Massachusetts this week in connection to the TelexFree Ponzi scheme. Federal authorities...

A seven-year-old boy from Roseville, CA has been diagnosed with stage four cancer, and his family is doing all it can to raise money for his care...