2-Yr-Old Nearly Dies - Now Parents Are Issuing Warning

A toddler is lucky to be alive, say her doctors.

The tot from Colorado swallowed some 28 buckeye magnets. The little magnetic spheres linked together in the child's bowel. Doctors had to perform surgery to remove the magnets, and they want parents to know the special danger that swallowing magnets can pose.

As any parent will tell you, two-year-old kids are always putting things into their mouth. They will swallow just about anything, and often, those things will pass through without notice. Little Ella McBrien, however, got lucky after swallowing more than two dozen magnets.

Ella was being watched by her father, Kyle, but he stepped away for just a couple of minutes to use the bathroom. By then, the damage was done.

Little magnets may not seem like a big deal, and might look like something you'd expect to come out the other end in a couple of days. After all, buckeye magnets are round, smooth and not toxic. There are no sharp edges to worry about, and as long as it's small enough to make its way through the human body, it doesn't look like it can cause any damage.

"It sounds as benign as humanly possible - magnets, you don't think anything of it. I think just to understand exactly what the true risk is," said Kyle.

But if more than one is swallowed, they can create a huge problem. That's because the magnets will clump together inside a person to form one, large mass.

Kyle and his wife, Elizabeth, brought Ella to the hospital where X-rays show the magnets were all linked together in the girl's bowel. They formed a complete circle.

"They were pinching the bowel and causing the early formation of a hole within the bowel by the time we got in there," Dr. Robert Kramer told Fox News. "That can have very significant implications. In the worst cases there has been deaths associated with these."

"It was terrifying," Elizabeth said. "I was losing it, but my husband Kyle luckily kept it together."

After endoscopic surgery to remove one tiny magnet at a time, Ella was doing much better.

Buckeye balls, also formerly known as Zen Magnets and Neoballs, are small spherical-shaped magnets that were marketed as desktop building toys a few years ago to children. Children can create various magnet sculptures with the powerful earth magnets, but they ended up getting recalled in 2013 because they were dangerous in the hands of young children.

In 2012, a toddler swallowed 37 magnets, and they bore holes in her gastrointestinal system. A year later, a six-year-old also got holes in her bowels from swallowing the 'toys'.

The magnets were banned after a 19-month-old girl was given a magnet necklace by her older brother. She swallowed just seven, but they powerfully joined together and perforated her bowel. This caused it to become septic.

After a two-year ban, the magnets have recently been re-released to the public. Ella’s doctors say already accidents are on the rise.

“We are starting to see more of these high power magnet ingestions now that they are back on the market,” he said.

Source: Daily Mail
Photo: KDVR

Tell Us What You Think

More News Stories

A couple that had been married for 77 years passed away within hours of one another. Now, they're taking their bond to the grave.

A newly...

The Fishers are a family of five, and parents Joshua and Bee Fisher wanted to expand it even further. Having more children isn’t what they had in...

Our world continues to advance in previously incomprehensible ways at the speed of light, and there’s just no slowing that down. That’s true...

Allen H. Thacker, a 62-year-old man from Virginia, has plead guilty to deliberately killing a bald eagle with a firearm and his vehicle. Mr....

According to the internet ‘Alfonso’ from Mexico died in the EgyptAir crash, the shooting at Pulse nightclub in Orlando and bombing at Ataturk...

Latest News Stories

Through the years, the words ‘Clinton’ and ‘scandal’ have appeared together in the confines of the same sentence an ungodly amount of times. There...

As long as there have been election campaigns, there have been questionable slogans to go along with them. That will not change anytime soon, but...

Students from Catholic Memorial All-Boys High School, in Massachusetts, have been praised after they volunteered to carry the casket of a recently...

In a surprise story, a school labels an 8-year-old boy for saying five words about the alleged refugee crisis. The school then called social...

An incident on Sunday at one of Donald Trump’s golf clubs certainly will not rank as the biggest scandal of his presidency, but it has been...