Man Eats Dinner, Becomes Deathly Ill - Doctors Gasp Once They See His X-Rays

Japanese cuisine has been making a resurgence across the world as a delicious, healthy way of eating. One of the most popular Japanese dishes is sushi and all kinds of variations are making their way into Western restaurants and grocery stores. However, for one Chinese man, a fondness for sashimi nearly lead to an early grave after doctors found that his body was infected with tapeworm. The unnamed man had visited a doctor after being plagued with stomach pain and itchy skin. Tapeworm parasites can infect the human body when people eat raw fish that has been contaminated by the worm’s larvae.

It is not known how long the Chinese man had the tapeworm growing inside him but it is believed that the parasite can grow up to 15 meters long and can continue to survive for several years.

Initially, tapeworm infections are very difficult to detect, especially because people often don’t think twice about stomach aches. Other symptoms of a tapeworm infection include dizziness, fatigue, constipation and mild to intense abdominal pain.

The unidentified Chinese man was lucky to have his infection detected. If tapeworm infections remain untreated, the larvae begin to move around the body, infecting other areas, including: the liver, brain, heart and eyes. At this stage, the effects of the infection can become life threatening. The tremendous increase in sushi consumption in the Western world has led to a correlating increase in cases of tapeworm infection. Sushi dishes regularly incorporate uncooked slices of fish and consuming such meals dramatically increases your chances of contracting the repulsive infection.

The Chinese man was treated at an eastern China hospital, Guangzhou No. 8 People's Hospital in Guangdong Province. The doctor who treated him, Doctor Yin, allegedly told a writer for the Chinese website www.thatsmags.com, that “eating uncooked food contaminated with tapeworms' eggs could eventually cause cysticercosis when the adult worms enters a person’s blood stream.”

It is likely that this cautionary tale might put some people off eating at a Japanese restaurant for a few weeks.

Source: Mail Online
Photo: AWM

Even an unlicensed professional could tell that this is bad...

Tell Us What You Think

More News Stories

President Obama, in his State of the Union address Tuesday night, sought to reassure voters about the terrorism threat and the economy, Fox News...

Parents of middle schoolers in Tennessee are demanding answers after discovering their children are learning about Islam. The kids were required...

In the fight against the Islamic State, President Barack Obama is expected to announce a plan to send another 250 U.S. soldiers to Syria to help...

Have you heard of Ambam the gorilla? If you use social media at all, you probably have. The gorilla got a lot of attention after a video of him...

On Wednesday, Ohio Gov. John Kasich went after his party for a lack of ideas in an interview with The Washington Post's editorial board.

...

Latest News Stories

For the fourth year in a row, Target is starting Black Friday early by opening its doors on 6 p.m., Thanksgiving Day. In addition, Target said it...

An Indiana veteran opened fire on two shoplifting suspects fleeing a store near his home. The 60-year-old now faces up to five years in prison and...

Since the United Airlines controversy earlier this year, the media has kept the spotlight on domestic and international airlines, ensuring that...

Byron Geldard took a pregnancy test, when he was 18, because doctors recommended it. Geldard told the Irish Independent, “It was all very surreal...

Halloween decor has long gone a bit overboard. As film, literature and video games continue to glorify violence and try to out-do each other, the...