Status message

Operating in maintenance mode.

Couple Get A Rude Awakening By A Venomous Intruder In their Bedroom

An Australian couple had a start one morning when they noticed an unexpected visitor had come calling. The couple found a snake in their bedroom. They called a local snake catcher to take care of the problem as the snake made itself cozy in their bed.

Stewart Lalor of Elite Snake Catching Services says he got a call at around 10 a.m. from a frantic woman in a town south of Brisbane. She reported a snake loose in her bedroom.

“I received a call from a woman informing me about the snake. She told me that it was on their bedroom floor,” said Lalor to the Daily Mail Australia. “But, when I got there, the snake had quickly moved up to the couple's bed and I eventually found it under their blanket.”

The snake turned out to be an eastern brown snake. Eastern browns are highly venomous and are considered one of the deadliest snakes in Australia. The majority of snake bite deaths in the country are caused by eastern browns.

It's not the kind of creature you want to cuddle up with under the covers. If the couple hadn't spotted it before it got into the bed, they could have been making a very different phone call that night after turning in for the evening; they could have been calling an ambulance.

“Not exactly the best place to encounter a highly venomous snake,” Lalor wrote in a Facebook post. “Fortunately, these guys have no interest in humans and are only dangerous when interacted with, however in a situation like this the outcome could have been unfavorable.”

Lalor captured the serpent, and snake lovers can rest easy. He set it free in a place where it would be safe and happy, with a big food supply. Lalor catches and releases snakes regularly, and doesn't like to disclose where he set them free, but he does note that it has to be somewhere the creature can thrive.

“It would be pointless to leave them in a big open area with no food source as they will only make their way back into homes,” Lalor said.

Snakes are common in Australia, but with the warm weather drawing them out, there has been a rise of reports of snakes making their way into homes. Unfortunately, it's not always a happy ending.

Several people have been bitten in the past couple of years by snakes in their own home. Barbara McDougall, who was bitten by a tiger snake last year in Melbourne, says she used to just see snakes 'here and there' once in a while.

Lately, however, there seems to have been an invasion. "Everyone’s been talking about seeing snakes around," she says.

"I mean you expect snakes to be in long grass, but not on concrete in a built-up area, so it was a shock," said

Thankfully, McDougall survived, but her neighbors three dogs were not so lucky. All of them were killed by snakes in their own backyard.

"Everyone’s been asking if I live on a farm," she said. "I just live on a normal house block. It’s a bit worrying for people who’ve got kids."

Source: Fox News
Photos: Elite Snake Catching Services/Facebook

Tell Us What You Think

More News Stories

A white evangelical couple recently gave birth to African-American triplet daughters whom they adopted as embryos. The triplets came home to meet...

Former Vice President Dick Cheney is not going to make the same mistake as Jeb Bush by commenting on whether the United States should have invaded...

A dog owner was devastated by the death of her 12-year-old Golden Retriever. She decided to spread the dog's ashes at the dog park where the two...

On Sunday, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said that Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton is not right for the White House because she is...

If you were expecting a Christmas gift from 80-year-old Patrick Jiron and his 70-year-old wife, Barbara, it may be wise to assume that it’s not...

Latest News Stories

A widow in Kentucky was doing a big house cleaning and getting rid of boxes of old stuff she didn't need anymore. She sent the donations to...

A man in Oregon killed an elk on a hunting trip, but then a tragic accident happened. The man was impaled on the elk's antlers minutes later....

A lot of people will tell you that every health problem has a solution found in nature. Most of us are willing to get on board with a new diet,...

Paul Skinner and his friend were cycling along a road in England. They immediately noticed a small spaniel on the side of the road that looked...

The world of music lost another legend over the weekend.

Walter Becker passed away at the age of 67. Becker co-founded the popular band...